Sunday 20 January 2013

"Pain is temporary, admitting to doping lasts forever."


"Pain is temporary, admitting to doping lasts forever."

The drama started (this time around) on the 5th of July, 2012 when a group of well respected professional cyclists were announced or leaked to be witnesses for the US anti- doping investigation  against Lance Armstrong.  Amongst others were George Hincapie, Levi Leipheimer, Christian Vande Velde and David Zabriskie. People I admire(d) for their skills as racers. Racers who allegedly made deals with USADA to testify to get reduced suspensions for their own doping charges. When I heard Hincapie, who was Armstrong's right hand man for all of his 7 TDF victories with USPS and Discovery, I knew it had to be true. But I wanted to hear it from him. 

I believed he was telling the truth when there was no proof and just allegations. I wanted to believe  Every one of the hundreds of seemingly vindictive random surprise drug test he passed. He overcame the big C - Cancer. He became a cycling phenomenon.  Battling hard on dozens switchback mountain stages like Alpe d'Huez and Mont Ventoux. The ultimate comeback story.  I was on his side when the jealous and zealous French media were on his case because he was an American winning  their  race. I really admired him. And I wasn't the only one. A decade ago I took up hard core cycling for a few years and rode thousands of km because of his inspiration. I wouldn't be accused often of hero worship, but he was a hero of mine. Was.

In the fall, Lance quit fighting the charges. And then finally this week he taped  the interview on  Oprah's Next Chapter and finally admitted to doping. To everything. Including to being a bully.

I have worn a Livestrong wristband since they first came out ten years ago. I took it off only once to get a tattoo. I removed it on Thursday and it will never be worn again. This grand deception has now lost him his seven Tour wins, his Olympic medal, and a lifetime ban from competing in any professional sport. It has cost him tens of millions of dollars in sponsors - from Nike on down the line.  I imagine some of those sponsors will sue him. 

It has also, and perhaps more significantly, tainted the Livestrong brand and will likely impact the Livestrong cancer foundation. I wasn't surprised he stepped down from  - or was motivated to leave,  his organization.  The people who contributed to the worthy work the foundation does might revisit their donations. Which would be a shame.

I used his 'pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever' quote as a mantra when riding some long rides and as a motivation in life. Reading his books inspired me and many more. His final admissions this week will disgust and infuriate many more.

It is difficult to put into words how bitterly disappointed I am in Lance Armstrong.  Perhaps I am being melodramatic, but so what. I was one of his biggest fans.


#lancearmstrong   #photography   #closeupphotography   #livestrong  #50mmphotography